Black Bean, Sausage, and Butternut Squash Chili
By July 17, 2012Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage any spice sausage will do
- 1 large or 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 poblano hot pepper membranes and seeds removed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 jalapeno hot peppers seeded, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 28 ounce can plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups black beans opre-cooked
- Ground black pepper and Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped, plus some extra for garnish
- 2 Scallions finely sliced
- avocado sliced as garnish )optional)
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot or deep skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel. When cool enough to handle, cut in 1/4 inch slices.
- Add onion to pot and sauté until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add squash, garlic and peppers. Sauté 3 minutes. Add dry spices and cook stirring, one minute. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste and bay leaves.
- Simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in black beans, sausage, salt and pepper. Simmer 10 more minutes. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Before serving add cilantro. Serve in bowls with scallions, fresh avocado (if using) and additional cilantro.