Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
By July 18, 2012Published:
- Yield: 9 cups
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
A thick smooth soup combining the sweetness of pumpkin with black beans and cumin, from Gourmet, November 1996.
- 4 1/2 cups black beans cooked
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped (canned are okay)
- 1 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup shallots minced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 4 cups broth
- 1/2 cup sherry (dry)
- 3-4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Garnish: Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt
- Garnish: Pumpkin seeds lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked pumpkin
- In a food processor coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.
- • In a 6-quart heavy kettle cook onion, shallot, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened and beginning to brown. Stir in bean puree. Stir in broth, pumpkin, and Sherry until combined and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Just before serving, add vinegar and if using, ham, simmer soup, stirring, until heated through. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup garnished with sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds