Goat Burgers with Feta Spread
By July 18, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 40 mins
Goat meat burgers with a Mediterranean style feta cheese spread from Emeril Lagasse.
- 2 1/4 lbs ground goat
- 1/2 cup shallots minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh Mint
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper plus 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 4 ounces goat cheese soft
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Scallions tops only, minced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest finely grated
- 6 hamburger buns
- In a bowl combine the goat meet, shallots, mint, garlic, salt, cumin, allspice, ¼ teaspoon of cayenne, and the cinnamon and mix gently to thoroughly combine. Shape the mixture into 6 wide patties about ½ and inch thick and transfer to a large platter. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- Make the feta dip: combine the remaining 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, feta cheese, goat cheese, mayonnaise, green onions, 1 tsp of the olive oil, and lemon zest in a bowl and stir to blend well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to cook the burgers: preheat the grill to medium-high. Brush the burgers on both sides with the remaining olive oil. When the grill is hot, add the burgers and cook for about 4 minutes on each side for medium. Serve the burgers on the buns with a few spoonfuls of the feta spread on top. Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, and roasted red peppers, if desired.