Greek Greens Pie With Cornmeal Crust
By July 18, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 pie (6 Servings)
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 mins
From Martha Rose Shulman, New York Times.
- 2 lbs greens any combination of spinach, chard, or beet greens will do
- 1 medium or 2 small onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Mint chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 bunch Scallions chopped
- Ground black pepper and Salt to taste
- 5 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cornmeal (fine)
- 1 cup water as needed
- Wash the greens, then steam, for 1 to 3 minutes, just until wilted. Transfer the wilted greens to a bowl of cold water, then drain and squeeze out moisture. Chop medium-fine and set aside in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the scallions and cook for another minute, then stir in the greens and chopped herbs. Toss everything together, season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove from the heat. Add the feta and stir together.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 10-inch round baking dish or cake pan.
- Combine the milk and ½ cup water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add salt to taste and slowly add the cornmeal while stirring with a whisk or a wooden spoon. If you don’t add it in a very fine stream it will lump. Stir until the mixture is thick, like polenta. Remove from the heat and place half of the mixture in your oiled baking dish. Moisten your hands and spread the cornmeal mixture over the bottom of the pan in a thin, even layer.
- Spread the greens over the cornmeal bottom crust in an even layer. Dilute the remaining cornmeal mixture with water until it is the consistency of wet sand. Stir in the remaining olive oil. Spoon it over the greens and spread, using the back of a spoon or moistened hands, in an even layer. Don’t worry if it doesn’t cover every bit of the top.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour in the preheated oven, until the top is browned. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 30 minutes before cutting.