Spicy Squash Salad with Lentils and Goat Cheese
By July 18, 2012Published:
- Yield: 3 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
This squash salad, adapted from Bon Appetit, can serve 3 as a main dish or 6 as a side.
- 3/4 cup lentils black or green
- 6 cups butternut squash or sugar pumpkin, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil divided
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups arugula baby arugula is best
- 1 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh mint thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar plus extra to taste
- Optional: Roasted seeds from the butternut squash
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss squash or pumpkin cubes with 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, paprika and salt. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet and roast 20 minutes. Flip pieces and roast for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until tender. Cool.
- Meanwhile, soak lentils for 10 minutes in a small bowl, then drain. Cook lentils in boiling salted water until tender but firm, about 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water, then drain and cool.
- Combine lentils, pumpkin, any oil you can scrape from the baking sheet with arugula, half of goat cheese, mint, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper and extra vinegar, if desired. Divide among plates and pass with remaining goat cheese and roasted seeds to sprinkle.