Lemon- Rhubarb Chicken
By July 24, 2012Published:
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
Recipe courtesy of epicurious.com
- 5 tablespoons Olive Oil divided
- 2 1/4 tablespoons shallots chopped
- 4 1/2 cups rhubarb diced, divided
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest finely grated, divided
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup ginger sliced, unpeeled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons brandy
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 pieces of boneless chicken breast with skin, halved
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons chopped shallots and 2 cups rhubarb; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon peel. Season with salt and pepper. Cool.
- Melt butter in a heavy large saucepan over low heat. Add 2 ½ cups rhubarb, ¼ cup shallots, and ginger; sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add sugar and brandy; boil 1 minute. Add broth, star anise, and bay leaf. Simmer over low heat until mixture reduces to 2 cups, about 1 hour. Strain, discarding solids. Stir 1/3 cup rhubarb stuffing into sauce. (Stuffing and sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cover each and chill. Rewarm sauce before using.)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Using fingertips, separate skin from flesh of chicken breasts, forming a pocket. Place 2 tablespoons rhubarb stuffing in pocket. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, add chicken breasts, skin side down, to skillet; cook until brown, 7 minutes. Transfer chicken, skin side down, to roasting pan.
- Roast chicken 10 minutes; baste with pan juices. Roast until cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Transfer chicken to platter, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon lemon peel, and serve, passing sauce alongside.