Portobello-Layered Mashed Potatoes
By July 24, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
Yukon gold potatoes make excellent mashed potatoes, but baking potatoes will work too. For butter flavor, cook the potatoes before peeling. From cookinglight.com
- 3 lbs potatoes yukon golds are best
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onions minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 1/2 cups portobello mushrooms caps only, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil chopped, or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender; approx. 30min. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Cool and peel potatoes; mash. Add reserved cooking liquid, buttermilk, 3/4 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes, without stirring. Then, cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 4 minutes), stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and basil.
- Spread one-third of potato mixture in bottom of an oiled 8-inch square baking dish or 2-quart casserole dish. Spread half of the mushroom mixture over potato mixture; repeat layers, ending with potato mixture. Sprinkle top with cheese and paprika; drizzle with oil. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.