Pumpkin Stuffed With Everything Good
By July 24, 2012Published:
- Yield: 2 (4 as a side) Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 2 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 2 hrs 30 mins
A wonderful one-pot meal cooked in a pumpkin! From epicurious.com. This can be a main course for 2 or a side for 4.
- 1 3 lb pumpkin pie pumpkin is best
- Ground black pepper and Salt
- 4 ounces bread stale, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 ounces cheese mountaintaler or cheddar are best
- 2-4 cloves garlic peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 slices bacon cooked until crisp, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- generous pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 chives scallions or shallots will do as well. Minced.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin as you would a jack o’lantern, and remove the seeds and strings from the cap and the inside of the pumpkin.
- Season the interior generously with salt and pepper.
- Toss the bread, cheese, garlic, bacon, onions and herbs in a bowl and season with pepper. Pack the mix into the pumpkin, making sure it’s well-filled. Stir the nutmeg into the cream, salt and pepper to taste, and pour over the filling.
- Put the cap on the pumpkin and bake in the middle of the oven for 2 hours, or until the pumpkin flesh is tender.
- Carefully remove from the oven; transfer very carefully to a platter and serve immediately, either as a main dish accompanied by salad, or as a side dish.