Chive Flower Vinegar
By July 26, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 jar chive flower vinegar
- Prep: 5 mins
This lovely vinegar was suggested by an herb vendor here at the farmers’ market. It’s easy to make and it adds something wonderful to your salads.
- You will also need a pair of tong and a mason jar with a lid.
- Wash the mason jar well in hot soapy water.
- Put the clean mason jar into a pot of boiling water so that it is completely covered in water and boil for 5 minutes. Carfully use tongs to pull it out and set it to dry completely on a clean cloth. You want there to be no water on the inside because it can cloud the vinegar. But you also don’t want to dry it with a cloth because you could introduce bacteria.
- When the jar is dry, cut off all of the chive flowers and snip up some of the stems and put them all in the jar.
- Pour white wine vinegar until the jar is full to about 2 cups worth. Cap it tightly and let it sit on your counter, or in a warm place, for 1 week.
- Strain through fine cheese cloth or cotton.
- Season: Spring