Garlic Scape Pesto
By July 26, 2012Published:
- Prep: 10 mins
From Free Bird Farm.
- 1 cup garlic scapes top flowery part removed, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese or parmigiano reggiano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 box pasta penne is best
- Place scapes and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well combined and somewhat smooth. Slowly drizzle in oil and process until blended. With a rubber spatula, scoop pesto out of bowl and into a mixing bowl. Add parmigiano to taste; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat over pasta or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Or freeze in a thin layer in a sealed freezer bag. Break off a portion of the frozen pesto to use as needed—to flavor pastas or soups or spread on a sandwich.
- For a full box of pasta, simply double this recipe.