Spinach and Portobello Mushroom Loaf
By July 26, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
This the pastry used for this loaf is inspired by Turkish spinach rolls. Recipe from potatofamine.wordpress.com.
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups whole wheat
- 2 1/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil or other, neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon water cold
- 1 egg yolk only, lightly beated with the cold water
- 1/2 lb spinach washed and chopped
- 1/4 lb asparagus cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 8 medium portobello mushrooms cut into strips
- 1-3 stalks green garlic finely chopped
- generous handful chives finely chopped
- Goat cheese
- First, mix up the dough. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir until evenly mixed. Next, add the oil and stir just a little. Add the milk and mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until the dough is smooth and pliable. Set it aside while you make the filling.
- Put the asparagus, mushrooms, chives, and green garlic in a medium saucepan with a generous amount of olive oil and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn off the heat and add the spinach, stirring to coat with oil. Cover the saucepan and leave it on the warm burner to rest. Do not turn the burner on.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. On a well-floured surface roll out the dough until you have a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the filling evenly over the dough, spread a layer of goat cheese over the filling, and roll it up. Last, brush the outside of the loaf with the egg yolk and water wash. Bake for 35-40 minutes.