By July 31, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
This chilled soup, from southern Spain, is a summer classic. Recipe from epicurious.com
- 1 two-inch piece of french bread or 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 2 1/2 lbs tomatoes cored and quartered
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sprinkle chopped garlic with salt and mash into a past, using the side of a knife or a mortar & pestle.
- Soak bread/breadcrumbs in water for 1 minute. If using bread, squeeze excess water out.
- Put garlic paste, bread/breadcrumbs, vinegar, sugar, & cumin in food processor and blend.
- Add half the tomatoes and blend until smooth. Add remaining tomatoes and blend.
- With processor running, add olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- If desired, strain through fine mesh strainer & discard solids. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- Serve with chopped cucumber and diced avocado as garnish.