Baked Zucchini Sticks & Sweet Onion Dip
By August 2, 2012Published:
Recipe from kingarthurflour.com
- 3 medium-large Zucchini
- 1` medium or 2 small sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried or a small handfull fresh herbs such as oregano, parsley, and basil
- Cut the zucchini into ½ wide sticks about 3 inches long each.
- Salt the zucchini and set it in a colander to drain excess liquid. In the meantime, make the dip.
- Chop the onion into small pieces and cook in the butter for about 10-15 minutes over low heat to caramelize.
- Combine the onion and butter with the dicer vinegar, honey, mustard, and mayo in a food processor and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Now, back to the zucchini: rinse the extra salt off the zucchini and set them to dry.
- Mix the herbs, breadcrumbs, and cheese into a shallow bowl and beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Now, one by one, role the zucchini sticks first in the egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture. Each stick should be evenly coated in breadcrumbs, with the egg holding it in place. Lay each zucchini stick on a lightly greased backing sheet.
- Bake at 425, turning the sheet a few times, until evenly browned.
- Serve with onion dip.