Savory Swiss Chard Tart
By August 2, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
This easy, fast, adn wonderful tart is adapted from Bistro Cooking, by Patricia Wells
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Tart Filling
- 1 lb chard washed, de-stemmed, and chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup asiago or parmesan cheese grated
- 1 large or two small tomatoes sliced
- 12 pitted kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 400. Put chard in large frying pan over medium low heat, season with salt and pepper, and wilt until most liquid is evaporated.
- Make pastry: Mix flour and salt together in medium bowl. With a wooden spoon, stir in ¼ cup cold water, and then stir in ¼ cup olive oil. Dough will be very moist. Dump dough in the middle of a 10” tart pan and, using fingers, spread the dough thinly across the bottom and up the sides of the pan. It will look like there’s not enough dough to cover the pan, but there is – you want a thin crust!
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and cheese together. When the chard is sufficiently wilted, stir one spoonful into the egg mixture to temper the eggs. Then slowly add the rest of the chard and stir together. Pour into the prepared tart pan. Place tomato slices on top and scatter olives evenly. Salt & pepper to taste, and if desired, sprinkle with additional cheese. Bake for 40 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is set.