Gratin of Red and Yellow Cherry Tomatoes With Ricotta Basil Topping
By August 7, 2012Published:
From "The Vegetarian Table: France" by Georgeanne Brennan
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 lbs red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Use 2 tbs olive oil to grease the sides and bottom of a gratin dish just large enough to hold the tomatoes in one layer. Wash and dry the tomatoes, and toss in the gratin dish to coat with oil. In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic, 5 tbs basil, ¼ tsp salt and all the pepper.
- Sprinkle ½ of this mixture over the tomatoes. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, eggs, 3 tbs basil, ½ tsp salt, flour and cream and blend until creamy
- Pour the ricotta mixture over the tomatoes, and top with the remaining breadcrumb mixture. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and bake until ricotta is lightly browned and tomatoes are about to burst (but not burst yet).