Grilled Venison with Blueberry, Pinot Noir and Balsamic Reduction
By August 8, 2012Published:
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 6 hrs 30 mins
- venison steaks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom to taste
- salt and pepper
- Blueberry, Wine, Balsamic Vinegar Reduction:
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3-1/2 cup red wine pinot noir or something fruity
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Start with the marinade. Mix together the buttermilk, garlic and the spices of your choice.
- Rinse and pat dry the venison and place in a sealable bag large enough to hold the meat and marinade. Pour the marinade over the meat and seal the bag.
Re-seal tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- If you’re grilling over charcoal, light the coals. Remove the meat from the marinade and wipe off any lingering marinade with paper towels.
- Grill until the meat is done to your liking.
- Make the balsamic, blueberry, and wine reduction: Using an immersion blender, whiz all the ingredients together. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to the lowest possible setting and let simmer, uncovered, until reduced by ½ or ⅓. Taste frequently to adjust sweet and sour to your liking.