By August 28, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 lbs duck 1 large or 2 small ducks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup cold onions chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh Thyme about 4 inches long
- 1 sprig fresh Rosemary
- 3 cup orange juice
- 2 cups chicken or duck broth divided
- Cut the duck as you would chicken. Leave leg-thigh portions whole or divide if large. Set aside or discard neck, back, and giblets for other uses.
- Salt and pepper the ducks
- In a large dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Working in batches so you have only one layer at a time, add the duck pieces. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, turning once, until pieces are browned on each side.
- Return all pieces to dutch oven, arranging so they are stacked in no more than two layers. Add onions, herbs, salt and pepper. Pour two cups or orange juice and one cup of broth over them.
- Cover tightly and bring to just below a boil; reduce heat to the lowest temperature possible to maintain and low simmer.
- Add the remaining orange juice and broth as the liquid dissolves, cooking for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender and falling away from bone.