Scotch Broth Lamb
By September 10, 2012Published:
- 2 lbs lamb bones
- 1 lb lamb such as shoulder chops
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 large potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 medium carrots cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 stalks celery cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large or 2 medium onions chopped and sauteed until lightly browned
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 quarts water
- In a large pot bring bones, lamb, and water to boil. Remove any scum that rises.
- Reduce heat and add salt, pepper, oregano, bay leaf, soy sauce, and barley. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours
- Skim off fat and stir in remaining ingredients except the parsley. Return to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered about 45 minutes, until lamb and vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf and garnish with parsley to serve.