Pork and Apple Pie with Cheddar-Sage Crust
By September 20, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8-10 Servings
- Prep: 60 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 0 min
Adapted from The Apple Lover's Cookbook
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried sage crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 sticks chilled unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese finely grated
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg blended with 1 tablespoon water
- fresh sage for garnishing
- 3 lbs apples peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch thick wedges
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup onions finely chopped
- 2 lbs ground Pork
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- In a medium bowl or food processor, whisk together the flour, sage, and salt. Add butter and work in by hand (if using a food processor, pulse) until mixture is coarse with some bits of butter remaining. Stir in the cheese. Add 6 tablespoons ice water and stir with a fork or pulse until the dough begins to come together. If needed, add an additional tablespoon or two of ice water (you shouldn't need much more). Form dough into two roughly equal disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- • In a skillet over medium-low heat, cook apples without any oil, stirring gently, until they just begin to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside. Add butter to the pan and increase the heat to medium. Add the onion, pork, brown sugar, salt, and spices. Cook, stirring, until it is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then transfer to a food processor. Add breadcrumbs and pulse until the mixture has the texture of coarse sand. Set aside.
- • Roll out one disk of dough, working from the center, to a 13-inch circle and transfer to a pie plate, draping any excess over the edge. Roll out the second disk to an 11-inch circle. Set aside.
- • Preheat the oven to 425°F and set a rack in the lower third of the oven. Spoon the meat mixture into the crust and arrange the cooked apple slices over the meat as neatly as possible. Top with reserved pie crust and make two 3-inch slashes in the crust to allow steam to escape. Trim the edges and crimp to seal. If desired, brush with egg wash and decorate with sage leaves. Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375°F and bake until golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes more. Remove from oven and either serve hot, or let cool to warm (25 minutes).
- Season: Fall