Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Apples
By October 4, 2012Published:
- Yield: 2-3 Servings
Recipe from Heidi Swanson at 101cookbooks.com
- 1 large or 2 small crisp apples cut into small pieces
- 1 lemon juice only
- 4 ounces extra firm tofu cut into tiny cubes
- 2 medium cloves garlic minced
- Soak the apples in a bowl filled with water and the juice of one lemon.
- Cook the tofu in large hot skillet with a bit of salt and a splash of oil. Saute until golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, wait a few seconds, now stir in the maple syrup, and cook another 30 seconds or so. Drain the apples, and add them to the skillet, cooking for another minute. Scrape the apple and tofu mixture out onto a plate and set aside while you cook the brussels sprouts.
- In the same pan (no need to wash), add a touch more oil, another pinch of salt, and dial the heat up to medium-high. When the pan is nice and hot stir in the shredded brussels sprouts. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, stirring a couple times (but not too often) until you get some golden bits, and the rest of the sprouts are bright and delicious.
- Stir the apple mixture back into the skillet alongside the brussels sprouts 1/2 of the pine nuts - gently stir to combine. Remove from heat and enjoy immediately sprinkled with the remaining pine nuts.
- Season: Fall