Classic French Green Salad
By October 5, 2012Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
A lovely salad and dressing from Ellen Pope.
- 2 small shallots or 1 clove of garlic, minced
- pinch Ground black pepper and Salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard or 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- fresh herbs such as parsley, tarragon, thyme, chives
- salad greens for 6 people
- In bottom of salad bowl, stir shallot/garlic, mustard, salt & pepper together with wooden spoon. Add vinegar and stir until combined well. Add oil in a stream, stirring constantly until dressing is emulsified (mustard and salt aid in emulsification). Taste and tweak to your liking. Add salad greens and toss just before serving.
- Variation: for a fall salad, pair bitter greens (radicchio, endive, arugula) with sliced pears, walnuts and cooked beets and substitute walnut oil for the olive oil.