Curly Kale and Potato Soup with Sausage
By October 31, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
This recipe, from http://www.seriouseats.com, is adapted from Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food.
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb pork sausage
- 2 medium onions sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 bunch kale stems removed, cut into 1/2 inch ribbons
- 1 lb yellow potatoes like Yukon Golds, peeled and sliced thin
- 6 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese to top
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until crumbled and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add onion and cook until soft and beginning to brown, 10-12 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes more. Add kale, potatoes, and reserved sausage, along with a couple pinches of salt. Cook about three minutes longer, then add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer until the kale and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide into bowls and top with fresh black pepper and grated Parmesan. Serve immediately.