Celeriac Soup, with Fennel, Apple and Crispy Pancetta
By January 25, 2013Published:
Recipe from Ellen Pope, Otsego 2000 Executive Director
- 4 oz pancetta cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- 1 medium celery root cut into 1 inch dice
- 1 medium or 2 small onions chopped
- 1/2 bulb fennel chopped
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- In soup pot, fry the pancetta dice until very crispy. Remove from pot and drain on paper towel. Pour off all but 1 tbs fat and add 1 tbs butter.
- Saute the onions in the butter over low-medium heat until soft. Toss in celeriac, fennel, and apple and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in chicken broth just to cover and simmer, covered, until celeriac is soft.
- Puree in a blender or in the soup pot with a handheld immersion mixer. Soup should be creamy in texture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche and a sprinkling of crispy pancetta on top.