By June 18, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 4 medium stalks rhubarb
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 - 3/4 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice rhubarb stalks 1/4 " thick. Toss with 3 tablespoons of the sugar.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in large bowl or bowl of food processor. Cut butter into flour mixture by hand (or whiz with food processor) until butter is the size of small peas.
- Blend in 1/4 cup of the sugar. Blend in sliced rhubarb. (If using the food processor, just pulse -- you want the slices left mostly intact.) Blend in cream until a soft dough forms. (note: you may need to add more than 2/3 cup depending on the weather, etc.)
- Transfer dough to floured surface and divide in half. To make triangular scones, flatten into 6-inch disks and cut each circle into 6-8 scones. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake about 20 minutes or until reddish-brown on top.
- Season: Spring