Zucchini Pesto Roll-Ups
By July 10, 2013Published:
- 2 Zucchini
- 1 container cherry tomatoes enough for 1 per roll
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional, but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Start off by making the pesto – mainly because it becomes more flavorful the longer it sits. Combine cashews, olive oil, basil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until the consistency is mostly smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- Chop the ends off each zucchini. Then, using a mandolin or vegetable peeler, start peeling long strips from the zucchini. Repeat until you’ve peeled enough strips for the amount of rolls you want to make. Have the cherry tomatoes ready in a bowl and a stockpile of toothpicks.
- On a flat surface, lay out a slice of zucchini, portion a spoonful on the strip and smooth it out evenly. Cover 1/2-3/4 of the strip, otherwise it will be hard to roll and the pesto will ooze out everywhere. Place a cherry tomato near one end of the zucchini and start to roll the strip around the tomato. When you get to the end, spear the roll with a toothpick and set it aside. Repeat the process until you run out of ingredients.