Summer Squash and Corn Soup with Feta & Chives
By September 13, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
Adapted from eatingwell.com
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 lbs medium yellow summer squash the kind that look like zucchini
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 ears fresh corn kernels removed (divided)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 jalapeno minced. Use whole pepper for more spice
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Add squash and cook until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kernels from one ear of corn along with the garlic, stir, and cook another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vegetable broth, basil, salt, and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and let simmer about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender in 3 batches, being careful not to fill the blender too high as the mixture will be hot. Puree each batch until smooth, transferring the pureed portions to a separate large measuring cup or bowl as you go. Once everything has been pureed, return it all to the saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining corn along with the jalapeno, and let simmer gently for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Add additional seasoning to taste at this point. Serve warm and top each portion with about 1 tablespoon each of feta and chives (or more, if desired).
- Season: Summer