By September 13, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 Belgian-style waffles (4-6 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- Ready In: 20 mins
Golden zucchini waffles are fluffy on inside, crispy on the outside, and loaded with the same warm, wonderful flavors as your favorite zucchini bread or zucchini muffins. Store leftover waffles in a zip top bag in the freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to prepare, gently reheat waffles in the toaster or toaster oven. Recipe from www.thelawstudentswife.com
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups milk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Zucchini shredded, patted dry of excess liquid
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup walnuts toasted and roughly chopped
- Butter for serving
- maple syrup for serving
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.
- In a small bowl (or large measuring cup), stir together the eggs, milk, Greek yogurt, and vanilla. Add all at once to the flour mixture and fold in gently, just until no streaks of flour remain. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the zucchini, lemon zest, and walnuts. Cook waffles according to your iron’s instructions. Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup.