Slow Cooker Coq Au Van
By March 1, 2018Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 6 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 6 hrs 30 mins
- 5 slices bacon
- 4 chicken legs with thigh and drumstick
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms baby portobello, sliced
- 1 onion medium, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces carrots peeled and cut
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1 and 1/3 cups Pinot Noir
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 2 cups pearl onion
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until just crisp. Remove from skillet to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in the skillet, turning once, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a large plate.
- Add butter and mushrooms to skillet and cook until mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper and cook until vegetables soften, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to slow cooker. Add chicken broth. Place chicken and any juices from plate and bacon on top of vegetables.
- Add wine, thyme sprigs and pearl onions. Cover and cook on low for 5 ½ hours.
- *For a thicker sauce, mix in 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1-2 tablespoons water until smooth and no lumps. You may want to remove chicken before mixing in cornstarch mixture.
- Add chicken back and continue to cook on high for 1 more hour.