One Pot Bacon Braised Lamb Stew
By March 14, 2018Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 1 hr 5 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 mins
- 2 ounces bacon
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour or other gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb ground or chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Thyme dried
- 2 cups potatoes chopped, use sweet potato for paleo
- 1/4 cup white wine omit for paleo
- 1 bay leaf
- First make sure all your veggies are chopped. Set aside
- Next place bacon strips in a large stock pot or Dutch oven. Cook.
- Drain ½ the bacon grease and keep other ½ in pot. Save one teaspoon of the fat for later.
- Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Coat your lamb with gluten free flour and brown the lamb in the pot with the bacon fat. Continue to cook lamb until it looks tender and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off some of the fat. Add pepper, salt, onion and garlic to the lamb. Saute until onion becomes golden.
- Add your bacon pieces and stock. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, white wine, bay leaf and thyme. Stir and simmer again covered for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf.