Scottish Rabbit Curry
By September 10, 2018Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 2 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 2 hrs 10 mins
- 1 rabbit 2 1/2- 3 pounds, cut into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Canadian Bacon chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste mild
- 3 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 1 1/2 cups onions pearl
- 2 cups mushrooms button
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- rice Basmati, optional
- In a Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat and saute rabbit pieces until well browned, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the Dutch oven.
- Using the same Dutch oven (do not wipe it out), saute the bacon until it is browned and has rendered its fat into the pan, about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour, whisking constantly until it is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add the curry paste and stir to combine well with the flour mixture.
- Stir in the chicken broth, ¼ cup at a time. The pan contents will now have the consistency of a thin sauce.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the browned rabbit pieces along with the onions, mushrooms, celery and salt.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally until the meat is cooked through, the onions are tender and the sauce has thickened, about 1 ½ hours.
- Serve warm, preferably over rice.