Sweet Potato French Toast with Cardamom Creme
By March 21, 2019Published:
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 1 hr 25 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 mins
- 1 small sweet potato pierced with a fork
- 8 ounces bread stale, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg yolk
- 1 cup milk low-fat
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake sweet potato until softened, about 45 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and puree in food processor.
- Grease muffin tin and divide bread pieces evenly among all 12 muffin cups.
- Beat 3 whole eggs in a medium bowl. Add milk, ½ cup half-and-half, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and brown sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Whisk in ½ cup of sweet potato puree.
- Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover muffin tin with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- To make crème anglaise, heat half-and-half in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until just simmering, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and egg yolks. Slowly add ½ of the half-and half to the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and raise heat to medium. Stir with wooden spoon until sauce has thickened and coats back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat immediately and stir in cardamom; pour through strainer into heat-proof bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove plastic from muffin tin, and use a spoon to press bread down. Bake for 35 minutes or until edges are golden, but not brown.
- Loosen with butter knife and serve with chilled crème anglaise.